Vin chaud, gluwein, mulled wine… whatever you call it, a glass of the good stuff will get you feeling “festive” in no time. Here’s how to make mulled wine at home.
250ml Orange Juice
1L Boxed Red Wine
150g Demerara Sugar
1 Cinnamon Sticks
1/2 tsp of each; Cardamom Pods, Star Anise, Whole Cloves, Black Pepper
1. Place 200mls of water, demerara sugar and the spices (crush the cardamom pod) into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Chop up the orange with the skin on and throw into the mixture as well.
2. Heat at a high temperature, until the sugar has melted and becomes thicker and almost syrupy infused with the spices. This should take around 5 – 10 minutes.
3. Once you have a thickened spiced syrup, add the orange juice and wine, then warm through on a medium heat and mix for around 10 minutes until the alcohol is slightly cooked off.
4. You should be left with 1300ML of mulled wine to enjoy (why not invite some friends over?!)
5. Leave the spices and orange in the wine to serve – if you have any left over, you can cool it down, keep in the fridge and reheat the next day – enjoy!