One of our most popular dishes is our sourdough eggy bread served with smoked bacon and avocado. It’s such a favourite that we’ve seen various versions on social media of you making it at home, so we thought we’d share how to make the dish!
Eggy Bread mix
- Eggs – 1
- Poppy seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Fresh thyme, finely chopped – ½ teaspoon
- Whipping cream – 40ml
- Whole milk – 100ml
- Salt and pepper
- Two rashers of good smoked bacon (we use Devon Rose free range applewood smoked)
- Good sourdough loaf (big piece!) – We use Hobbs House.
- ½ an avocado
- Vine cherry tomatoes (3 or 4)
- Olive oil
- Set the oven to 200°C.
- Drizzle the cherry toms in olive oil and season (we add a little sugar too) and place in the oven for 10 minutes until starting to break down.
- Mix all the eggy bread mix ingredients together and then slice the bread about 3cm thick.
- Soak the bread in the egg mix for at least 5 minutes, turning and gently pushing to soak up the mix.
- Cook your bacon until crispy
- Heat a pan and add a knob of butter to it
- Once the butter starts to bubble add the eggy bread and fry until golden about 3 minutes on each side.
- Once the eggy bread is cooked cut in half on the diagonal and place on plate over lapping each piece.
- Top with the sliced avocado then the bacon and the roasted vine cherry tomatoes on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil & serve with a bottle of tabasco.